Wednesdays, Dec. 4, 11, 18, (skip Dec 25, Jan. 1), Jan. 15, 29
1:00 - 2:00 PM EST
(6) week 1-hour live, and interactive online group sessions on Go to Meeting
All levels of ability
Taking it to the next Dimension by learning how to create 2 and 3-dimensional jewelry pieces. We will explore two different, but similar ways of sculpting. You have a choice of working directly with Metal Clay or with Polymer Clay. The Polymer Clay option gives you endless working time. You would then mold it and fill with Metal Clay. Finally, you will carve and detail the dried Metal Clay. We will cover how to convert your ideas, into a dimensional form; use the additive and deductive process for creating depth; learn various carving, refining and detailing methods; and the best tools and methods for each process.
Materials Needed: 25 - 50g 960 (this will be our own hand mix of Art Clay Silver and PMC 925 Sterling - great carving ability and for designs with thin appendages needing strength) Ball stylus, #0 Conical rubber shaper, Dental tools/carving tools, Diamond drill bit assortment, Needle files, 1/8” foam paper or applicator for smoothing, Super Sculpey® Original Polymer Clay, Toaster oven, Drawing, photograph to scale, 2-part molding compound — MYOM® molding silicone plastique compound, great for detail. www.makeyourownmolds.com/, Wood or cork clay, 3M polishing papers, Advantedge® Rubber polishing wheels for Silver, blue (medium), pink (fine) for rotary tool, 3M Radial Bristle Brushes 400 grit to fine, Props for dimensional forms, Basic Tool Kit
Carving and Sculpting in Metal Clay Class
Online Policy and Cancellation Policy
- Holly Gage cannot be held responsible for technical difficulties arising from Go to Meeting. Checked your equipment PRIOR to the start of the sessions together.
- Other people on your personal network may also impede the session, so it is recommended only one person in your household use the network at a time.
- Please turn off cell phones and other distractions during class. A set of headphones may be helpful.
- If technical difficulties prevent an individual from communicating during the group session or impede an entire session, Holly will communicate with that person after the session to rectify the problem.
- If technical difficulties disrupt the session, make-up time shall be added to the end of the session.
- Please be on time for class, and test your equipment prior to class as this affects all participants involved. Hollyy is happy to run a test with you if need be.
- Please be considerate, your enrollment affects the run of the class, so cancellations less than 3 weeks will be non-refundable.
- Once materials or the lesson has been given to you the class fee is non-refundable
- Class material and fees are for that class only and are not exchangeable for another class or time slot.
About Live Online Classes
The Online classes are live and interactive with Holly Gage on the Go To Meeting platform. All you need is a camera on your computer or phone.
- A week or so prior to class, Holly will send you a PDF file of the lesson.
- During each class she demonstrates a part of the lesson and you will spend the week trying it on your own and you will come back to the next class with your "Creative Development Homework" so far.
- Together you will discuss it, ask questions, talk about challenges, or just celebrate what you've achieved.
- The sessions continue in that manner until you are done with the course.
- Classes cover design concepts as well as technique.
- Classes are kept small and personal, about 4-5 students to keep them light and enjoyable engaging all members of the class.
- If you miss a class, you can catch up at the next session where I will give a quick review of the prior session.