Mondays, Nov. 18 - Dec 16 • 1:00 - 2:00 PM EST(
5) week 1-hour live, and interactive online group sessions on Go to Meeting
All levels of ability
Learn the secrets of transforming original photos or drawings into highly detailed, low relief images, which look similar in style to traditional Repoussé. Discover how to wet-work a reverse polymer mold of your image, manipulate silver Metal Clay and use tools to create different hand-wrought textural effects, and carve details for the finishing touch.
The Repoussé Effect is only achieved by this technique and is different from photopolymer plates. The results are unique and original, beautifully echoing the hand of the artist.
Students should bring 3 to 4 “original” drawings or photographs to choose from, and together we can pick the best for the project. Anything that inspires you is fair game. The photos or drawings will be reduced in size with a photo copier if needed, so either black and white or color can be used. A 3" x 5" picture/photo would be fine. I will teach the students how to frame and focus the viewers attention as part of the lesson.
Materials List: 25 g low fire Metal Clay, Sculpey® Original Polymer Clay - Beige (White tends to be too soft), Pencil Drawing or Photograph, Tracing paper, Carving tools/dental tools, Ball stylus - various sizes, Photocopier (reduces/enlarges), Toaster Oven, Basic Tool Kit, 400 grit sandpaper,3M polish paper, polishing cloth.
Repoussé Effects in Metal Clay Class
- Holly Gage cannot be held responsible for technical difficulties arising from Go to Meeting. Checked your equipment PRIOR to the start of the sessions together.
- Other people on your personal network may also impede the session, so it is recommended only one person in your household use the network at a time.
- Please turn off cell phones and other distractions during class. A set of headphones may be helpful.
- If technical difficulties prevent an individual from communicating during the group session or impede an entire session, Holly will communicate with that person after the session to rectify the problem.
- If technical difficulties disrupt the session, make-up time shall be added to the end of the session.
- Please be on time for class, and test your equipment prior to class as this affects all participants involved. Hollyy is happy to run a test with you if need be.
- Please be considerate, your enrollment affects the run of the class, so cancellations less than 3 weeks will be non-refundable.
- Once materials or the lesson has been given to you the class fee is non-refundable
- Class material and fees are for that class only and are not exchangeable for another class or time slot.
The Online classes are live and interactive with Holly Gage on the Go To Meeting platform. All you need is a camera on your computer or phone.
- A week or so prior to class, Holly will send you a PDF file of the lesson.
- During each class she demonstrates a part of the lesson and you will spend the week trying it on your own and you will come back to the next class with your "Creative Development Homework" so far.
- Together you will discuss it, ask questions, talk about challenges, or just celebrate what you've achieved.
- The sessions continue in that manner until you are done with the course.
- Classes cover design concepts as well as technique.
- Classes are kept small and personal, about 4-5 students to keep them light and enjoyable engaging all members of the class.
- If you miss a class, you can catch up at the next session where I will give a quick review of the prior session.