Delicate gems need special treatment and an extra special setting. Many beautiful stones can not be fired in place, so when you wish to overlap the stone with details you add an additional challenge to the design of your piece. My solution is setting the gem from the back. It may sound as if you have to design the whole piece backward, but this is not the case. Not only that, it is so much easier than you could have imagined! We will discuss successful design to enhance the stone, bezel setting, finishing techniques and more. Bring to class a 15 – 25 mm flat stone with a flat table or front surface . Beware of stones having a deep pavilion or back as they may not sit flat on the body. Other fire in place gems are optional.
Materials List: PMC 3 or Low fire Art Clay, Art Clay ® (brand specific), glycerin, Fine silver bezel wire the height of the stone, 400 sandpaper, 3 M polishing papers, polishing cloth. Basic tools kit. (Bring your favorite metal clays tools, textures.) Advantedge® polishing wheels, 3M bristle wheels®, rotary tool, and plier set.
Romancing the Stone: Reverse Stone Setting Class
- Holly Gage cannot be held responsible for technical difficulties arising from Go to Meeting. Checked your equipment PRIOR to the start of the sessions together.
- Other people on your personal network may also impede the session, so it is recommended only one person in your household use the network at a time.
- Please turn off cell phones and other distractions during class. A set of headphones may be helpful.
- If technical difficulties prevent an individual from communicating during the group session or impede an entire session, Holly will communicate with that person after the session to rectify the problem.
- If technical difficulties disrupt the session, make-up time shall be added to the end of the session.
- Please be on time for class, and test your equipment prior to class as this affects all participants involved. Hollyy is happy to run a test with you if need be.
- Please be considerate, your enrollment affects the run of the class, so cancellations less than 3 weeks will be non-refundable.
- Once materials or the lesson has been given to you the class fee is non-refundable
- Class material and fees are for that class only and are not exchangeable for another class or time slot.
The Online classes are live and interactive with Holly Gage on the Go To Meeting platform. All you need is a camera on your computer or phone.
- A week or so prior to class, Holly will send you a PDF file of the lesson.
- During each class she demonstrates a part of the lesson and you will spend the week trying it on your own and you will come back to the next class with your "Creative Development Homework" so far.
- Together you will discuss it, ask questions, talk about challenges, or just celebrate what you've achieved.
- The sessions continue in that manner until you are done with the course.
- Classes cover design concepts as well as technique.
- Classes are kept small and personal, about 4-5 students to keep them light and enjoyable engaging all members of the class.
- If you miss a class, you can catch up at the next session where I will give a quick review of the prior session.